Zucchini and Dried Plum Bread
The zucchini and dried plums (prunes) provide a great source of fiber and are also low in saturated fat. If you choose to add the flax seed meal, you will boost the fiber content and also add healthy Omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants.
Zucchini and Dried Plum Bread (Gluten Free Option) Makes one loaf
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
Gluten Free Option – substitute 2 cups Pamela’s Wheat-Free & Gluten-Free Ultimate Baking & Pancake Mix for the all purpose flour, baking soda and baking powder.
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ cup ground flax seed meal (optional)
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 cups grated zucchini (about three medium zucchini)
zest of one lemon
10 dried plums, chopped
½ cup pecans, chopped (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Butter one 9” x 5” loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment if you like to ensure easy removal of the bread from the pan.
3. Grate the zucchini on a box grater or in a food processor. Let sit for 10 minutes and then squeeze out as much of the excess moisture as you can. Don’t skip this step – it is very important or the bread will be too wet.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder (or Pamela’s Baking Mix if you are making a Gluten Free version), cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and flax meal (if you are using it).
5. In a bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, add the brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, vanilla and vegetable oil. Beat on medium speed for one minute.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes.
7. Add the grated zucchini, lemon zest, dried plums and chopped pecans. Mix for another 30 seconds until combined. Do not over mix.
8. Spread the batter evenly into the loaf pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan and then remove from the pan. Enjoy!!