Caesar Salad with Grilled Peppered Chicken Breasts & Garlic Croutons
This salad is served with a grilled chicken breast, but you could certainly have a great salad without any meat, or substitute grilled shrimp or even a steak. Using a rotisserie chicken makes this salad extra convenient! The recipe includes instructions for making your own croutons – of course you could use the store bought croutons – but the ones you’ll make will be so much better!
For the dressing
1. Prepare a medium-high gas or charcoal grill fire. When hot, clean the grate with a stiff wire brush and then wipe it down with a folded paper towel dipped in oil.
2. Lightly coat the chicken with 1 Tbs. of the olive oil, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Grill, covered, turning once, until nicely browned and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Let cool and slice thinly just before serving.
3. Preheat the oven to 350. Cut the bread into large cubes, about ¾” square. Place in a medium bowl and toss with the olive oil, garlic, cheese, salt and pepper. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and crisp.
4. Mix all of the dressing ingredients together. Let sit for at least 15 minutes to let the flavors blend.
5. Set 2 large dinner plates on the counter. Put the romaine, ½ of the croutons and ½ of the coarsely grated cheese in a large mixing bowl and toss with about 1/4 of the dressing. Arrange the romaine on each plate.
6. Arrange one chicken breast across the top of the romaine. Sprinkle the remaining cheese, croutons and cherry tomatoes over the salads. Enjoy!